2023 Eugene M. Landis Awardee:
Akos Koller, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor: New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY, Semmelweis University and Hungarian Sports University, Budapest, Hungary
I am doing too many things! I am following my interests (hypotheses) from the level of microcirculation to humans, because they must be connected. In particular, I am interested in the effects of hemodynamic forces on vasomotor regulation in the heart and brain, and the roles of endothelium and smooth muscle in it. Hemodynamic forces elicit the release of ions, molecules of various sizes, which then interact with cells, platelets in the blood and the extravascular tissues and parenchymal cells producing a cross talk among them harmonizing their complex function. I am investigating these issues in various conditions, such as aging, exercise, hypertension, atherosclerosis, preeclampsia, gender, and so on. And if I see in humans, what I have seen in the microcirculation, then it tells me that I am working on important issues.
Top lesson you have learned during your career:
I was frequently thinking on it, and how to grasp it. And then I have read in an airplane magazine during one of my fights to New York what Maya Angelou learned from her mother: “When you learn, teach, when you get, give, and this will take you all over the word” and this is what I tried to teach to my students. In essence: pass the baton!
And regarding the microcirculation, I am saying what Berry White was singing: you are the first, the last, my everything!
1. Assessment of cerebral autoregulatory function and inter-hemispheric blood flow in older adults with internal carotid artery stenosis using transcranial Doppler sonography-based measurement of transient hyperemic response after carotid artery compression. Magyar-Stang R, et al. Geroscience. 2023 Aug 21. doi: 10.1007/s11357-023-00896-1. PMID: 37599343
2. Covid-19 vaccines elicit effective IgG responses in an elderly thymus cancer patient with chemotherapy. Koller A, Szebeni J. Hum Vaccin Immunother. 2023 Dec 31;19(1):2188035. doi: 10.1080/21645515.2023.2188035. Epub 2023 Apr 16. PMID: 37062957
3. Upregulation of exofacial peroxiredoxin-thioredoxin system of lymphocytes and monocytes in preeclampsia. Alasztics B, et al. Pregnancy Hypertens. 2023 Mar;31:54-59. doi: 10.1016/j.preghy.2022.12.002. Epub 2022 Dec 12. PMID: 36587441
4. Functional and structural adaptations of the coronary macro- and microvasculature to regular aerobic exercise by activation of physiological, cellular, and molecular mechanisms: ESC Working Group on Coronary Pathophysiology and Microcirculation position paper. Koller A, et al. Cardiovasc Res. 2022 Jan 29;118(2):357-371. doi: 10.1093/cvr/cvab246. PMID: 34358290
5. Molecular pathomechanisms of impaired flow-induced constriction of cerebral arteries following traumatic brain injury: a potential impact on cerebral autoregulation. Szenasi A, et al. Int J Mol Sci. 2021 Jun 21;22(12):6624. doi: 10.3390/ijms22126624. PMID: 34205652